don't click here

Fan Game Amy's Rascal Race (Upcoming SAGE 22 Demo)

jnpickee

Green Hill Zone
Jul 3, 2022
California, USA
Hello there, this is my first time posting, but I have lurked around the sonic fandom for years (I am more of a outsider, heh heh heh *nervous laugh*), but find it vary interesting and engaging, I always wanted to join in on it for years, but being a Nintendo guy, I had nothing give or say to start a conversation, over the years I gained the ability to make games, so this was my chance, last year I created a small demo with the same title name as this thread on youtube, as my attempt.

It was actually co-delveloped along side my magical girl game (amy helped shaped what that game became), but I canceled the demo only because I thought the character Amy Rose was a controversial character and it would leave a bad impression on me, while that seems true, it's more the case for modern Amy rather then classic, anyway I wanted to use it as a entry into the fanbase, why I chose Amy (when knuckles is my fav) starts with a sonic mania plus parody video about leaving her out, and I said you know what?

Classic Knuckles has his own game (Knuckles Chaotics), and Classic Tails has his own games (tails adventure and sky patrol), but I haven't seen any for classic Amy, so then in 2018 (some months before I started to test the waters for game development) drew up a moveset and some mechanics to fit her into sonic mania on my deviantArt page, I toke a look at sonic's main ability, his speed, I wanted to make amy a speed character because she is a hedgehog.

But I needed her to be different, you know counter sonic in a way, I noticed lot of times when sonic is fast he is rolling (or in a ball), I know that this is his spin dash attack at play, so you know lets counter that, a roll is basically a spin that is vertical right, the opposite of vertical is of course horizontal, lucky for me, a twirl is a horizontal spin, a action in society known for being used by princesses and ballerinas, perfect for amy's girly character, sonic's spin dash is a extreme version of rolling, so I drew up mechanics for a extreme version of twirling.

Her twirling would be like a spinning top, she would jump by helicopter spin twirling up for a bit then dropping, and she would spin on walls and the ceiling (something I saw tops do on beyblade), in late 2020 I said you know, this could be a interesting game, lets make it, and what you saw in the video was the result, the build is old as it conveys her twirl like the spin dash conveys sonic's roll as ball, hers would be a horizontal razor saw (kinda of like the saw in AOSTH).

So here I am, announcing the demo is uncancelled, I even made some progress on it like making the razor animation more subtle and turning it more into a razor like wind draft, because I grew up with the super nintendo, the Donkey Kong Country series were my mains back in those days, so I am developing the game in that style, I wanted to know if that would be acceptable to you as sonic fans, with it straying some ways from the sonic formula, and kind of alienating sonic fans.

I want to enter it in SAGE 2022 for anyone to see and try, but only if you guys think it is a good idea, I even can even whip up a small demo with the test level for you to try now if anyone is interested or want to see if it feels right to you, I thank you for taking the time for reading this long post, and have a good day. :)
16316 16317 16318 16319 16320 16321

Last edited:

Kirby and friends

Green Hill Zone
Jul 20, 2022
That's cool I think it will be amazing plus Amy is pretty much never the main character so that will be interesting I hope it will turn out amazing . From Kirby and husko

jnpickee

Green Hill Zone
Jul 3, 2022
California, USA
That's cool I think it will be amazing plus Amy is pretty much never the main character so that will be interesting I hope it will turn out amazing . From Kirby and husko
thank you for the reply, I have actually started work weeks ago on it, I also comissioned a artist for a original character as a tag along partner, I comissioned some voice work too, with a little luck it might feature voice snippets like the donkey kong country games, once again thanks, your interest is encouraging indeed.

Ronald Rose

Green Hill Zone
Jun 3, 2018
I love this concept. I like those moves She makes that almost copy Sonic's moves. The music looks nice but there's no SFXs. That outfit looks like it's the one from the Mania Adventures Christmas special. I can't wait to play it and those bugs need fixing. But if you said that if it's the case for Modern Amy rather than classic would this game have Modern Amy instead of Classic or will it be an option?

jnpickee

Green Hill Zone
Jul 3, 2022
California, USA
I love this concept. I like those moves She makes that almost copy Sonic's moves. The music looks nice but there's no SFXs. That outfit looks like it's the one from the Mania Adventures Christmas special. I can't wait to play it and those bugs need fixing. But if you said that if it's the case for Modern Amy rather than classic would this game have Modern Amy instead of Classic or will it be an option?
thank you for the reply, also sorry for the late reply, thanks for the encouraging words too, yeah it's mania amy, the music sadly is a placeholder though but thank you, yeah, the video you see is actually a older build, as for the sound effects, my macbook's quicktime does not record sound sadly, hence I slapped on the music from a original work of mine as a placeholder.

I just finished rebuilding the new collision system though, so we will see where that takes us. As for modern amy, it is interesting that you ask, as the game started off vary briefly as a full 3d game featuring modern amy first, I played with the idea of making it a sonic adventure 2 kinda of deal, it would have had amy and a "anti-amy", both wearing designer jackets mocking the idea of sonic and shadow wearing designer "soap" shoes.

As said above though, it did not get far because as I searched google images of amy for research and design purposes, the safe search warning would go off not too far off in the search, but I think it was the videos talking about someone I think named "PaulAndAmy" (paraphrasing here) that clinched it for me to keep a good distance, and put a end to the modern amy iteration of the game, which is sad, as I actually preferred modern amy, with gothic amy being my favorite.

I designed a gothic amy model first for the initial first tests of the game because liked that version a lot, I choose christmas mania amy because I like that version as well, I would like to post some screenshots of the models of all the amys through out the production and her anti-amy to show you more, but the forum won't let me do it right now, but I digress, thank you for your interest, if you have any more questions feel free to ask, have a good day

Last edited:

Ronald Rose

Green Hill Zone
Jun 3, 2018
Would you show me the screenshots from another site instead of here? What does Anit-Amy look like?

jnpickee

Green Hill Zone
Jul 3, 2022
California, USA
Would you show me the screenshots from another site instead of here? What does Anit-Amy look like?
I cannot sadly since the images come from my computer, let me ask the staff on discord for why I cannot upload images, I could possibly try to add them to the first post since those uploaded, hold on, give me 30 minutes.

Edit: alright, thanks to a friendly discord user, I figured it out, the left one is the Anti-Amy, the middle one is "Accomplished Amy" and the right one is the vary first amy I did, gothic amy
16695 16696 16697 19252 The Anti-Amy is very experimental, fallowing some "Guidelines" and my own perception, but still she was never finished, I did not get that far in her development when I decided to can the modern amy iteration of the project, anyway if you have any more questions, just ask, thanks and have a nice day.

Edit: I may have disappointed some people with the lackluster Anti-Amy, what you see above is not my vision for her, however I decided to whip up a quick idea sheet of ideas I had for her and amy in the year from when I stopped and a quick sketch of her if I had continue development on her, enjoy

Edit 2: during the downtime before SAGE 2022 starts, I have decided to put work into making a model of the vision I had below, and you can take a look at it above, enjoy
16815 16816

Last edited:

jnpickee

Green Hill Zone
Jul 3, 2022
California, USA
Hey, just dropping by to inform anyone interested in this project, that I made a new gameplay video reflecting what you are going to get when you download the demo, enjoy if you like this kind of thing :) the video replaces the original video in the original post, so you will find it in the original post above.

Ronald Rose

Green Hill Zone
Jun 3, 2018
Oh, I love the Gothic Amy design. Trying out different outfits would be an option to do so. I'd love to see how it turns out and Gothic needs a hat too. Hopefully it'll be the first unlockable one (maybe at the start). Keep up the great work. I also saw you did some new Characters who tag alongside Her, and those cute voices too. Any bugs that need fixing from your team? All I do was ROM Hacking.

jnpickee

Green Hill Zone
Jul 3, 2022
California, USA
Oh, I love the Gothic Amy design. Trying out different outfits would be an option to do so. I'd love to see how it turns out and Gothic needs a hat too. Hopefully it'll be the first unlockable one (maybe at the start). Keep up the great work. I also saw you did some new Characters who tag alongside Her, and those cute voices too. Any bugs that need fixing from your team? All I do was ROM Hacking.
First off thank you for the help, but I don't have a team, and did the whole production myself. the others mentioned were all commissions I paid which I had to include their names, though more help would be great. but the whole meat of the project is in python. there are bugs but they are unique to the engine and my execution of the ideas, as it stands, the project as is needs a complete over haul sadly. I am currently working on a personal project right now though but will finish in early march, that is then when I will continue this project.

Until then I am going over ideas how I am going to over haul this, you are free to throw your hat into this, the extra character idea is good one, though perhaps rather then unlockables, they can be accessed with cheat codes ;) as for your rom hacking skill, do you do sprites? some don't like the 3d look I have now, and I am looking at some 2d options.

The gothic amy is actually my first amy model I ever did, so it's a little rough (laughs), she is also my favorite version of Amy, which why I made her first (laughs).

jnpickee

Green Hill Zone
Jul 3, 2022
California, USA
just a quick update, the windows version of Amy Rascal Race has been re-uploaded, it has been tested on a microsoft surface go 3 running windows 10 pro and is running pretty good now, I thank you for your patience, have a good day everyone!