don't click here

Sonic should be an Xbox exclusive

Status
Not open for further replies.

SunkythePootis

Green Hill Zone
Sep 4, 2017
What does this petition even have to do with the Microsoft talk?
Not like change.org petitions even do anything anyway

Reactions: Tsukiru

JPC

Green Hill Zone
Dec 3, 2019
I come to pick up this thread and I want to tell you something.

Lately there has been talk of Microsoft letting their studios in the Xbox division have all the creative freedom to make the games they want to make, after the purchase of Activision Blizzard.

And for me, the Sonic franchise really needs that. To have creative freedom. After the mandates that SEGA put after the Ken Penders case, this shattered the dreams of many people. Including me, because lately I'm traumatized with Sonic X and the ending it had in its last season, which I won't make any spoiler. For these mandates I will now be traumatized for life by the season finale of that series because SEGA doesn't want any love affairs with Sonic characters along with characters from other media.

That's why I wish someday Microsoft would take over Sonic's IP and drop the mandates which I find exaggerated in my opinion and try to resolve Penders case in an amicable way. Similar to what happened with the case of Halo composers Marty O'Donnell and Mike Salvatori respectively.

Here's to that. Sonic games have a lot of creative freedom and allowed things that SEGA didn't allow before, like introducing characters from other media, since SEGA wouldn't want that because they didn't like games to make references to old series and comics. Also, Sonic is more popular in the West than in his natal country Japan. If it's not popular in Japan, then what are you doing SEGA with that blue hedgehog in that country. I want you to sell it to a western company like Microsoft because it is more popular in that territory.

Last edited:

Tsukiru

Mirror World
Feb 10, 2022

Lately there has been talk of Microsoft letting their studios in the Xbox division have all the creative freedom to make the games they want to make, after the purchase of Activision Blizzard.

And for me, the Sonic franchise really needs that. To have creative freedom. After the mandates that SEGA put after the Ken Penders case, this shattered the dreams of many people. Including me, because lately I'm traumatized with Sonic X and the ending it had in its last season, which I won't make any spoiler. For these mandates I will now be traumatized for life by the season finale of that series because SEGA doesn't want any love affairs with Sonic characters along with characters from other media.

That's why I wish someday Microsoft would take over Sonic's IP and drop the mandates which I find exaggerated in my opinion and try to resolve Penders case in an amicable way. Similar to what happened with the case of Halo composers Marty O'Donnell and Mike Salvatori respectively.

Here's to that. Sonic games have a lot of creative freedom and allowed things that SEGA didn't allow before, like introducing characters from other media, since SEGA wouldn't want that because they didn't like games to make references to old series and comics. Also, Sonic is more popular in the West than in his natal country Japan. If it's not popular in Japan, then what are you doing SEGA with that blue hedgehog in that country. I want you to sell it to a western company like Microsoft because it is more popular in that territory.
Your arguments are still really bad and nonsensical. Sonic's issues aren't that its lacking creative freedom, its that its creatively bankrupt and doesn't commit to any ideas. Likely do to a rushed development, which isn't something only Microsoft can solve. Nor is it inherent that Sonic being given to Microsoft would automatically be the cure.

The games already have plenty of characters they don't use, they don't need to get the comic characters. They're ALSO not an immediate cure. The mandates aren't the problem. There's also no way for Microsoft to resolve things with Penders, I do not know where you got that idea from. It was entirely an Archie issue with documents that can't be found. And Penders is an ego nightmare, why would he share.

"They don't like games to make references to old series" ...Generations...? Forces...? Runners...? They rerelease old Genesis games all the time? Origins also uses the Spinball island...? This is just wrong.

Just shut up about this point about "he's more popular in the West." You suddenly jump to "what are you doing SEGA with the blue hedgehog with that country, give it to Westerners who know better." All because "it is more popular in that territory." What absolute nonsense is this? Sonic is still their massive branding especially in PSO, and occasionally when they do other crossovers. His music is used in the Yakuza/Judgement franchise and is still recognizable. You're just being absurd.

Also, traumatized? By Sonic X's finale? It's been 17 years. Get past it.

JPC

Green Hill Zone
Dec 3, 2019
The games already have plenty of characters they don't use, they don't need to get the comic characters. They're ALSO not an immediate cure. The mandates aren't the problem. There's also no way for Microsoft to resolve things with Penders, I do not know where you got that idea from. It was entirely an Archie issue with documents that can't be found. And Penders is an ego nightmare, why would he share.
Crash had a lot of unused characters. They were only playable in spin-off games like CTR and Crash Bash. It wasn't until Crash 4, where we could play with more characters besides Crash and Coco.

If Microsoft got hold of the Sonic IP. They could bring back many characters like Tails, Knuckles, Amy and Cream back to relevance as playable characters, bring back forgotten characters like Fang, Bean, Bark, Marine and Shade. And to avoid seeing the same characters over and over again in every game, include characters from old series and comics. This so that they recover the fame and recognition that they had lost many years ago, because those series and comics where these characters debuted had ended a long time ago.

Well, that is what Sonic games need now. Having multiple playable characters to extend the game, similar to what happened in Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 and Sonic Heroes. Who remembers when playing Sonic Adventure and to unlock the Last Story, you had to pass the story of each of the six playable characters?

Tsukiru

Mirror World
Feb 10, 2022
Crash had a lot of unused characters. They were only playable in spin-off games like CTR and Crash Bash. It wasn't until Crash 4, where we could play with more characters besides Crash and Coco.

If Microsoft got hold of the Sonic IP. They could bring back many characters like Tails, Knuckles, Amy and Cream back to relevance as playable characters, bring back forgotten characters like Fang, Bean, Bark, Marine and Shade. And to avoid seeing the same characters over and over again in every game, include characters from old series and comics. This so that they recover the fame and recognition that they had lost many years ago, because those series and comics where these characters debuted had ended a long time ago.

Well, that is what Sonic games need now. Having multiple playable characters to extend the game, similar to what happened in Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 and Sonic Heroes. Who remembers when playing Sonic Adventure and to unlock the Last Story, you had to pass the story of each of the six playable characters?
You show how little you know because Twinsanity existed already and had playable Neo and Nina Cortex. Also, again, this adds nothing to the topic. Like, okay? Crash 4 (both versions) had other playable characters? So what?

Get it through your head that being under Microsoft would not automatically solve the character problem. And again, wrong, because we've already brought back Tails and Knuckles as playable, Shadow in Forces (before you argue he's just Sonic again, that is literally the point of Shadow) and the Avatar.

"Recover the fame and recognition" is just delusional, someone a fan of the sonic comics is just already going to be a fan of the games. You aren't going to gain new people who already weren't into Sonic. Get it through your head that adding comic characters wouldn't do anything than satisfy that you recognize the thing.

There's also no need to "extend the game." People respond just fine to shorter games they can easily return to, like Generations. By extend you mean just filler. A lot of characters in Adventure and Heroes just felt like time wasters, and you'd just be asking for the same thing. Don't bring up Adventure 2 because it has the a limited cast all around the same core ideas. You don't know what you're talking about. Plain and simple.

I'm done putting up with someone who seems to wish to be denser than a brick.

Edit: Bringing up Crash makes less sense because it isn't like anyone was clamoring or complaining that Crash HAD to be more than just Crash and Coco. The psx trilogy was great because it was focused around Crash as well as the vehicles. It really means nothing to bring it up.

Last edited:

JPC

Green Hill Zone
Dec 3, 2019
Stop being so negative. I try to somehow justify Microsoft's purchase of Sonic's IP and you just keep disappointing me more and more. What's wrong with you, are you an Xbox hater, never owned an Xbox console, never even played an Xbox game on PC? Reason why, you don't want Phil Spencer to get his hands on the blue hedgehog.

SunkythePootis

Green Hill Zone
Sep 4, 2017
Stop being so negative. I try to somehow justify Microsoft's purchase of Sonic's IP and you just keep disappointing me more and more. What's wrong with you, are you an Xbox hater, never owned an Xbox console, never even played an Xbox game on PC? Reason why, you don't want Phil Spencer to get his hands on the blue hedgehog.
Because it will only add to the Triple A monopoly which leads to a weaker variety of game studios that aren't part of some other big multi billion dollar corporation in an industry that is pretty corrupt as it is.
And no, it shouldn't matter if you've owned an Xbox console or not as people can still give their reasons for why they wouldn't like a multi billion dollar corporation to buy out another multi billion dollar corporation. Buy outs don't automatically mean a change in how a company develops their games or the general quality of their output (again Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts exists), it only means more money for the big corporation per game purchases as they take a cut of the profits since well, they're publishing the game after all. People thought Disney would bring in a new era of quality Star Wars flicks when they acquired the IP, but it only lead to more disappointing sequels and milking the franchise out with every nickel and dime that they can squeeze out (case and point, Baby Yoda).
Your solution for the lack of playable characters in recent Sonic games (you know except for the likes of Gens, the Sonic Boom franchise, the mobile games, Mania and Forces) wouldn't automatically be resolved by Microsoft owning the IP. It would still be up for Sega and Sonic Team to decide who they'd want playable in their games, and considering they're still struggling with trying to program decent 3D control by reinventing the wheel all the time, I don't think adding multiple playable characters would make that job any easier for the programmers and level designers now would it.

Reactions: Tsukiru

JPC

Green Hill Zone
Dec 3, 2019
But you have to know one thing and that is that I feel sad with this franchise. Well, they had the opportunity to expand it more and more and in the end it did not happen.

When it premiered at the time AOSTH. SEGA should have made a game based on that series to take advantage of their fame at the time. But in the end we ended up getting a game that was basically a localized version of Puyo Puyo. Wasting the opportunity to see a Sonic game with graphics inspired by the cartoons of the time and having hand-drawn animations similar to games like Earthworm Jim or The Lion King and Aladdin games.

When Sonic SatAM premiered. SEGA should have made a game based on that series to further expand the story and lore of the latter. But in the end we ended up getting Sonic Spinball, a game that doesn't add much to the universe of the series. Wasting the opportunity to see a Sonic game more focused on the story and that would have been full of animated cutscenes reminiscent of the animations made by that artist who made them on an Amiga, voice acting and an epic and memorable Red Book soundtrack that would have taken advantage of the capabilities of the Sega CD.

When did Sonic Underground premiere. SEGA should have made a game based on that series to once again expand the story and lore a bit and take the opportunity to add characters that weren't in the original series like Tails and Amy. But in the end we end up getting an LCD game from Tiger Electronincs. Wasting the opportunity to see a Sonic game that would have focused more on coop action with up to 3 players and with rhythmic mini games to have a good time listening to the music of the TV series and that would have been released on the Dreamcast or on PS2 and Xbox, with an adaptation for GBA. It would have been a kind of Brutal Legend, but with Sonic and his silbings as protagonists.

When Sonic X was released, SEGA must have made one or more games based on that series, which retells the events that occurred in that anime. In case someone is lazy to watch the series and prefers that the story be told in another format. Similar to Dragon Ball Z games and anime-based games in general. But in the end we end up receiving an educational game for a fairly unknown console called Leapster Frop. Completely wasting the opportunity to see several games that tell the story of Sonic X, but a parallel universe. Being in the case of the versions for PS2 and Xbox, a game that combines action and platforms with an open world that is somewhat reminiscent of Jak & Daxter, Crash Twinsanity or SBSP BfBB. And in the case of portables, a JRPG-style game reminiscent of those JRPG games from the SNES era in the case of release for GBA or NDS, or a game that has certain reminiscences and similarities with the Digimon Adventure game for PSP in case of launching into the latter. And in both types of games it would take place in a parallel universe to that of that anime, where there would be stories that did not happen in the first place, such as an Sonic Shuffle adaptation, for example, and almost completely change the story of the Metarex saga where if we had had such a dear and coveted happy ending and not that bittersweet ending that it had in the original series that traumatized more than one. Including me.

And with this I conclude. That SEGA is not interested in Sonic's multimedia past and is only interested in exploiting his mascot with more modern adaptations. So that later these ending and end up being forgotten over the years and this would continue to repeat itself until one day SEGA stops exploiting Sonic beyond video games.

El Misterioso

Green Hill Zone
Aug 24, 2021

Sonic is not a Romance Story, Sonic is a fast Hedgehog who Runs, this is the core and Sonic never be a Romance all who make Ships and Sonamy will understand this, Sonic is not Romance, Sonic is a fast Hedgehog who runs at speed of light

El Misterioso

Green Hill Zone
Aug 24, 2021
But you have to know one thing and that is that I feel sad with this franchise. Well, they had the opportunity to expand it more and more and in the end it did not happen.

When it premiered at the time AOSTH. SEGA should have made a game based on that series to take advantage of their fame at the time. But in the end we ended up getting a game that was basically a localized version of Puyo Puyo. Wasting the opportunity to see a Sonic game with graphics inspired by the cartoons of the time and having hand-drawn animations similar to games like Earthworm Jim or The Lion King and Aladdin games.

When Sonic SatAM premiered. SEGA should have made a game based on that series to further expand the story and lore of the latter. But in the end we ended up getting Sonic Spinball, a game that doesn't add much to the universe of the series. Wasting the opportunity to see a Sonic game more focused on the story and that would have been full of animated cutscenes reminiscent of the animations made by that artist who made them on an Amiga, voice acting and an epic and memorable Red Book soundtrack that would have taken advantage of the capabilities of the Sega CD.

When did Sonic Underground premiere. SEGA should have made a game based on that series to once again expand the story and lore a bit and take the opportunity to add characters that weren't in the original series like Tails and Amy. But in the end we end up getting an LCD game from Tiger Electronincs. Wasting the opportunity to see a Sonic game that would have focused more on coop action with up to 3 players and with rhythmic mini games to have a good time listening to the music of the TV series and that would have been released on the Dreamcast or on PS2 and Xbox, with an adaptation for GBA. It would have been a kind of Brutal Legend, but with Sonic and his silbings as protagonists.

When Sonic X was released, SEGA must have made one or more games based on that series, which retells the events that occurred in that anime. In case someone is lazy to watch the series and prefers that the story be told in another format. Similar to Dragon Ball Z games and anime-based games in general. But in the end we end up receiving an educational game for a fairly unknown console called Leapster Frop. Completely wasting the opportunity to see several games that tell the story of Sonic X, but a parallel universe. Being in the case of the versions for PS2 and Xbox, a game that combines action and platforms with an open world that is somewhat reminiscent of Jak & Daxter, Crash Twinsanity or SBSP BfBB. And in the case of portables, a JRPG-style game reminiscent of those JRPG games from the SNES era in the case of release for GBA or NDS, or a game that has certain reminiscences and similarities with the Digimon Adventure game for PSP in case of launching into the latter. And in both types of games it would take place in a parallel universe to that of that anime, where there would be stories that did not happen in the first place, such as an Sonic Shuffle adaptation, for example, and almost completely change the story of the Metarex saga where if we had had such a dear and coveted happy ending and not that bittersweet ending that it had in the original series that traumatized more than one. Including me.

And with this I conclude. That SEGA is not interested in Sonic's multimedia past and is only interested in exploiting his mascot with more modern adaptations. So that later these ending and end up being forgotten over the years and this would continue to repeat itself until one day SEGA stops exploiting Sonic beyond video games.
Bro in first time understand, SONIC X IS BASICALLY AN ADAPTATION OF SONIC ADVENTURE 1 & 2, and the Sonic Media is SONIC MEDIA, SONIC MEDIA IS A THING DIFFERENT OF VIDEOGAMES, SONIC X 20 years ago, other Sonic Series more than 25 years Ago, SONIC BOOM HAS VIDEOGAMES, BAD VIDEOGAMES, STOP CRYING, SONIC ARE GAMES, AND THE NEW FANS OF SONIC WANT MODERN MEDIA NOT ANTIQUE MEDIA, SONIC 1 The Movie is this a MOVIE SEGA will not make SONIC 1 THE MOVIE THE VIDEOGAME, or WITH SONIC 2 The Movie, UNDERSTAND, MICROSOFT IS A BAD COMPANY, ALL SEGA MOVES IS FOR A NEW ERA A GOOD ERA PLEASE STOP.

SunkythePootis

Green Hill Zone
Sep 4, 2017
Considering the pitch video had Sonic basically go into a stealth game instead of a fast action platformer, I can see why Sonic 16 didn't go past the pitch phase. Also no duh Sonic Spinball didn't add much to the franchise's lore as it was literally a pinball game and I'm pretty sure adding a story would only get in the way of what people would want to pick up this game for: to hit the Sonic into some bumpers and get a high score.
I'm sorry but....you seriously think they could have pulled off a game for a show known for stuff like this?

Last time I checked anyway, Sonic Underground was only created to act as advertising for Sonic Adventure and for DIC to potentially get money from re-runs through its licensed soundtrack, so good luck trying to re-release that on modern platforms if they're already having trouble re-releasing Sonic 3 lately.

Not even gonna quote the Sonic X section because the second season of Sonic X literally adapts the stories of Sonic Adventure 1 and 2, along with doing an arc with Emerl from Sonic Battle. Even before then you get stuff like the show taking place in Station Square, Chao Gardens, and GUN being established as the military in the human world. At that point you could just play the games which were readily available on the Gamecube and GBA which I'm sure is what Sega would have wanted by producing this show in the first place, as shown with the Sonic X posters in Sonic Adventure DX's mission mode.

You seem to act like the cartoons that Sonic has had are the key for the franchise's modern success when in reality, they're more so for extending the potential audience of Sonic through other mediums much like any other video game cartoon or movie. Sure the live action films have been hugely successful and have gotten people into wanting to play Sonic, but it's not like Sonic Team needs to make a game based on the movie where Sonic sits in a car and spouts pop culture references in order to bring home even more money. If anything it seems like they're doing just fine with advertising their new games and the upcoming Netflix cartoon by Wildbrain with the hype of the movies in the air. Dragon Ball might get tons of video games, but with Dragon Ball there's many action and story set pieces from the manga that they could adapt into video game form or to possibly act as the potential mould for their own concepts (e.g. Cell being used for their take on Dead by Daylight or the time travel from the Android and Goku Black arcs being used for the setup of the Xenoverse games). With the Sonic movies since they're already using material that's already in video game form, it would be pretty pointless in making a game retelling those movie events when they could just put the Mega Drive games on modern platforms....like they're doing right now with Sonic Origins.
They might acknowledge the likes of Sticks, Tangle and Whisper for the mobile games, but they don't have to incorporate them into the games if they don't want to. It's their game series after all, and despite what the official Twitter might joke about, not everything needs to be canon for the video games.
At the end of the day, Sonic is first and foremost a video game franchise with the appearances in other mediums mainly acting as showcases to different audiences who may not have played a video game before, and I say this as I was introduced to Sonic through the Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog cartoon way before even touching a Nintendo DS.

El Misterioso

Green Hill Zone
Aug 24, 2021
Considering the pitch video had Sonic basically go into a stealth game instead of a fast action platformer, I can see why Sonic 16 didn't go past the pitch phase. Also no duh Sonic Spinball didn't add much to the franchise's lore as it was literally a pinball game and I'm pretty sure adding a story would only get in the way of what people would want to pick up this game for: to hit the Sonic into some bumpers and get a high score.

I'm sorry but....you seriously think they could have pulled off a game for a show known for stuff like this?

Last time I checked anyway, Sonic Underground was only created to act as advertising for Sonic Adventure and for DIC to potentially get money from re-runs through its licensed soundtrack, so good luck trying to re-release that on modern platforms if they're already having trouble re-releasing Sonic 3 lately.

Not even gonna quote the Sonic X section because the second season of Sonic X literally adapts the stories of Sonic Adventure 1 and 2, along with doing an arc with Emerl from Sonic Battle. Even before then you get stuff like the show taking place in Station Square, Chao Gardens, and GUN being established as the military in the human world. At that point you could just play the games which were readily available on the Gamecube and GBA which I'm sure is what Sega would have wanted by producing this show in the first place, as shown with the Sonic X posters in Sonic Adventure DX's mission mode.

You seem to act like the cartoons that Sonic has had are the key for the franchise's modern success when in reality, they're more so for extending the potential audience of Sonic through other mediums much like any other video game cartoon or movie. Sure the live action films have been hugely successful and have gotten people into wanting to play Sonic, but it's not like Sonic Team needs to make a game based on the movie where Sonic sits in a car and spouts pop culture references in order to bring home even more money. If anything it seems like they're doing just fine with advertising their new games and the upcoming Netflix cartoon by Wildbrain with the hype of the movies in the air. Dragon Ball might get tons of video games, but with Dragon Ball there's many action and story set pieces from the manga that they could adapt into video game form or to possibly act as the potential mould for their own concepts (e.g. Cell being used for their take on Dead by Daylight or the time travel from the Android and Goku Black arcs being used for the setup of the Xenoverse games). With the Sonic movies since they're already using material that's already in video game form, it would be pretty pointless in making a game retelling those movie events when they could just put the Mega Drive games on modern platforms....like they're doing right now with Sonic Origins.
They might acknowledge the likes of Sticks, Tangle and Whisper for the mobile games, but they don't have to incorporate them into the games if they don't want to. It's their game series after all, and despite what the official Twitter might joke about, not everything needs to be canon for the video games.
At the end of the day, Sonic is first and foremost a video game franchise with the appearances in other mediums mainly acting as showcases to different audiences who may not have played a video game before, and I say this as I was introduced to Sonic through the Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog cartoon way before even touching a Nintendo DS.
you are talking with the true

Status
Not open for further replies.