don't click here

Fan Game Sonic Encore

eMorph

Stuck in Marble Zone Act 3
Dec 5, 2019
So i added knuckles, did some more to the level also. experimenting with new UI

Cool! I really like that gliding carries your momentum. One question though: is everyone planned to have the homing attack or will that eventually just be for the hedgehogs?

eMorph

Dec 5, 2019
One suggestion that might be a bit strange: could you increase the badniks' hitbox/model size? It would make it a little easier to badnik bounce without having micrometer precision, even if the homing attack means you can still kill enemies.

lordgimpet

Marble Zone
Jun 17, 2019
One suggestion that might be a bit strange: could you increase the badniks' hitbox/model size? It would make it a little easier to badnik bounce without having micrometer precision, even if the homing attack means you can still kill enemies.
Cool! I really like that gliding carries your momentum. One question though: is everyone planned to have the homing attack or will that eventually just be for the hedgehogs?
for homing attacks that will depend on what I can get working, but what im aiming for is a variation for a starting point but have various move sets to make things feel different. so aside from range and speed differences. Amy might have different animation and have a hammer attack same could apply to knuckles with a drill claw which might behave similarly to homing but should look/ feel different. whereas Shadow's is more of a teleport than a homing. If I can get a melee system im happy with, or shooting so Espio could throw shuriken. again this is still at the if I can add it I will, not set in stone. being one-man operation I have ALOT to do as the Framework has evolved a lot from the original bumper and im having to go back to redo/improve things, as well as put in the time for another bigger sonic fangame I have been asked to assist with.

Badniks are getting an overhaul anyway so ill keep Hit box size in mind.

eMorph

Dec 5, 2019
for homing attacks that will depend on what I can get working, but what im aiming for is a variation for a starting point but have various move sets to make things feel different. so aside from range and speed differences. Amy might have different animation and have a hammer attack same could apply to knuckles with a drill claw which might behave similarly to homing but should look/ feel different. whereas Shadow's is more of a teleport than a homing. If I can get a melee system im happy with, or shooting so Espio could throw shuriken. again this is still at the if I can add it I will, not set in stone. being one-man operation I have ALOT to do as the Framework has evolved a lot from the original bumper and im having to go back to redo/improve things, as well as put in the time for another bigger sonic fangame I have been asked to assist with.

Badniks are getting an overhaul anyway so ill keep Hit box size in mind.
Sounds awesome! Can't wait for a new demo!

lordgimpet

Marble Zone
Jun 17, 2019
Just a bit of an Update. some goals have been met i'm happy with. Melee attacks and ranged attacks have been coded, just need to make some suitable animations for Sally and Amy, and some ranged attacks for espio.
I am also reaching the end of revamping Act 2.

this vid shows a quick run, not alot of the visuals like post process and particles are turned off while i build and the enemies are place holders while rebuild them

eMorph

Dec 5, 2019
I like the new bossfight and the level changes. I have two suggestions:
1: Either make the platform/steps close enough vertically to each other that you can jump up them without bouncing, or provide some alternate way of going up, maybe by some sort of slope that you can roll down near the steps to gain height.
2: Could you either place a jpg of the next act at the end of Act 1 or render it completely, so that when Act 1 ends, Act 2 can begin seamlessly, like in Sonic 3?

lordgimpet

Marble Zone
Jun 17, 2019
I like the new boss fight and the level changes. I have two suggestions:
1: Either make the platform/steps close enough vertically to each other that you can jump up them without bouncing, or provide some alternate way of going up, maybe by some sort of slope that you can roll down near the steps to gain height.
2: Could you either place a jpg of the next act at the end of Act 1 or render it completely, so that when Act 1 ends, Act 2 can begin seamlessly, like in Sonic 3?
well you can go left at the start and skip those steps completely but that is up to the player which path to take. however if you can master bounce timing the steps are quicker. I've intentionally put some sections seemingly more difficult but quicker if you master them, but there is usually another easier but often longer route. also some sections difficulty might vary depending on which character you decide to play.

as for stage transition. its something i have been thinking about but with everything on my plate and my intended scope of the project I'm for now leaning to sonic movie inspired goal rings acting as a portal showing the next act or zone.

eMorph

Dec 5, 2019
well you can go left at the start and skip those steps completely but that is up to the player which path to take. however if you can master bounce timing the steps are quicker. I've intentionally put some sections seemingly more difficult but quicker if you master them, but there is usually another easier but often longer route. also some sections difficulty might vary depending on which character you decide to play.

as for stage transition. its something i have been thinking about but with everything on my plate and my intended scope of the project I'm for now leaning to sonic movie inspired goal rings acting as a portal showing the next act or zone.
Sounds awesome!

lordgimpet

Marble Zone
Jun 17, 2019
OK so I have have a Beta demo of the first zone, Angel Island, this includes both acts and bosses, Sonic is the only playable character for now. As its a Beta it means it not 100% complete so you may notice some unfinished things. No boss death animations for example. but hopefully this is still fun to play. Download link is below, but also in the Videos description.
enjoy.
Download: Link

Reactions: NeedleMouse90

eMorph

Dec 5, 2019
That's some rock-solid level design. I only have two things I think would be really cool additions to it:

1: could you please reskin the rails on this level to look like strings of lights, or maybe climbing ropes, with icicles hanging off? Or maybe have a broken rope bridge where you can grind on the railings? I think that would much better fit the theme and make the rails feel a lot less out-of-place.

2: Maybe it would be fun as an added level gimmick where in Act 1 the entire level slopes uphill and you climb up the mountain after skiing down the iconic slope, and then Act 2 starts at the top and it slopes downwards, so you have to navigate through what is essentially a course from SSX.

So basically it would be really great if you added a few things to keep with the snowy mountain theme more strongly. Otherwise I love the level so far.

lordgimpet

Marble Zone
Jun 17, 2019
the rails ive been trying to get icicles on them as it was my original idea, but its more of a case of me fighting with spline mesh,

one thing i have done as i'm nearly finished Act 2, is in that vid above where act 1 end is actual also where Act 2 starts

Reactions: NeedleMouse90

eMorph

Dec 5, 2019
I think it's beautiful, but I think another "ground/stone" texture should be used in addition to the one. The current texture looks artificial, like the walls of a ruin, so it wouldn't make much sense to have it used for natural-looking elements of the level. The problem shows itself in the second photo, where the stone texture is stretched out and distorted by the bridge object. I think a more natural-looking or weathered version of the texture should be used instead.