don't click here

Fan Game Sonic Panic

Megaspit

Scootin' and pootin'
Aug 29, 2017
www.readgiggles.com

Hey, everyone. Oldbie from the oldschool SFGHQ forums here. Anyone who was around then might remember this.

So, I've been working on a fangame called Sonic Panic off and on for about 10 years now. I've had some help from other coders back in the early days of SFGHQ, but it's been a solo project since 2010 or so. The game is about 80-90% complete now and I hope to have it finished by the end of summer.

Mainly, the game is meant to look and feel like the Genesis games as much as possible, with most inspiration coming from Sonic 2 and Sonic CD. In this game, Robotnik has set up teleporters all over the world in order to build his empire in a flash. To do so, he has recruited Fang, who is searching temples around the world for the Space Gems, mysterious stones that allow the user to warp space around them. Sonic and crew set out to stop them.

Sonic also has the new Buzzsaw ability! Press jump while in the air to spin into buzzsaw shape, cutting enemies in half, deflecting projectiles, and opening up secret paths.

So far, the game has 11 zones, 10 of which are completed.

Panic Precipice Zone (100% complete)

Green field style quintessential first Sonic level.

Forest Freeway Zone (100% complete - Currently overhauling)

Towering trees, a maze of knotholes and leaves.

Snowstorm Shuffle Zone (100% complete - Currently overhauling)

A snowy mountain. Get snowboards from the monitors!

Starworld Zone (100% complete)

A space themed carnival. Ride in rockets and grab onto UFOs!

Underground Zone (100% complete)

The first level from Sonic 2 on Game Gear and Master System, reimagined.

-Secret- (100% complete)
---
I want to leave this zone as a surprise, but it's a throwback to an obscure older Sonic title.

Railroad Zone (100% complete)

Ride trains, run along the tracks, blow up machinery.

Eggman Empire Zone (100% complete)

Take on Metal Knuckles, Puppet Tails, and Metal Sonic in a rundown old city.

Aireal Aeolian Zone (100% complete)

Clouds!

Cosmic Crackers Zone (100% complete) (Needs original music)

Spaceship!

Techno Terror Zone (Work in progress)
---
The final zone. For reasons you'll see later, I need to finish all of the assets for previous zones before working on it. Finale!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

As you can see, most of the game is finished. I could release the game as-is and call it a finished release, but I'm overhauling some of the oldest zones to be of a higher quality before I release anything. After developing this over the course of years, you can imagine that the older zones feel lacking compared to the newer ones.

So, expect this soon! Maybe in time for SAGE, maybe not.

Last but not least, I'm still looking for some people who might like to put together the rest of the OST and give the soundtrack an original feel. Hit me up if you're intersted!

DOWNLOAD THE 2017 SAGE DEMO HERE!
(37mb ZIP)

Last edited:

Clouder

The one and only
Aug 29, 2017
Geez, sometimes I forget it's 2017. It only seems a little while ago that 10 years ago meant pre-2005, lol. The game looks good, but don't you think that Panic Hill and Forest Freeway almost look exactly like Green Hill and Wood Zone, respectively?

Reactions: Megaspit

Mors

maryo flashback
Aug 29, 2017
Kebabland
www.mors-games.com
It's great to see a Sonic fangame getting close to being finished. I also like the idea of a buzzsaw move, it reminds me of that move in Sonic Xtreme. But some of the zones seem a bit too close to the official zones, like it would be much better if you came up with an original forest zone instead of ripping off Green Hill and Wood Zone. I really don't mind remakes of 8-bit zones actually tho.

Reactions: Megaspit

Megaspit

Scootin' and pootin'
Aug 29, 2017
www.readgiggles.com
Right, I hear the complains about the first two zones. Being that they're the oldest zones I've made, they definitely seem lacking in comparison to the rest. A lot of what I'm doing now is overhauling earlier parts of the game to be up to standard. (Which came down to axing and restarting entire acts here and there). Being that the core game is finished, I'm mostly just focused on tweaking existing assets until I'm happy with them.

Thanks for the feedback, guys!

xalia

Green Hill Zone
Aug 29, 2017
do you still need a composer?
i will be glad to send you some demos of my work, if you are! ^^

SonicSkeit

Green Hill Zone
Sep 4, 2017
FINALLY!! I Am Here since I had been ever a pending member at Sonic Retro and couldn’t say anything there
Miss your game so much with seeing all those fantastic updates through months, here and there! I love the idea of a rocket (or UFO) driven by Sonic!! I appreciate your efforts:emoji_clap:
Hope you are tweaking it well and keep it in time for a SAGE release. I told many Chinese fans they could play it during SAGE September to October. Don’t make them disappointed, please

Megaspit

Scootin' and pootin'
Aug 29, 2017
www.readgiggles.com
Big update:

After gathering up all of the criticism I could find on this game throughout various sources, I've come up with some updates that should make everyone happy. Using newer engines as a model, I've tweaked a whole lot of the variables and changed a lot of Sonic's physics as well as ironed out some minor bugs that people may or may not have noticed.

Fixes:
-Adjusted Sonic's acceleration and turning to be much more similar to the original games
-Adjusted Sonic's jump height to be slightly higher
-Adjusted Sonic's top speed to be higher
-Adjusted the sprite rotation angles so that Sonic won't flicker between angles for 1-2 frames while on certain slopes
-Completely redid the spindash, making it more similar to Sonic 2

-Made it so that sideways springs will flip the player in the opposite direction
-Changed the hit-box on the buzz saw of the first boss to be more accurate and forgiving
-Fixed a bug where jumping after hanging on a rope would force the player into a buzzsaw attack
-Fixed a bug where jumping onto the top of a sideways spring would bounce the player
-Fixed a bug where the credits screen would sometimes change the screen resolution back to the default

If you tried the demo already and have some free time, by all means, please check out the new build. Even if you liked it before, I feel you'll like it a lot more this time around.

SonicSkeit

Green Hill Zone
Sep 4, 2017
Hey, it’s one of the most interesting Genesis-like fangames but with original features.

Um… “THIS IS GAME IS UNFINISHED” may not be good English on the first SEGA screen.

Misinko

Feel the the fire! Break your vision!
Aug 29, 2017
That's perfect English, actually. At least from a grammatical standpoint,

SonicSkeit

Green Hill Zone
Sep 4, 2017
"Is" is my favorite word. I feel like it isn't used enough, so I like to add use it as much as I can.
Oh, that’s OK! I just thought you could have been mistaken about adding some in an inadvertent way. Sorry for that, OK?

OK is my favorite.